Monday, August 15, 2011

College Checklist

Woooo! With ten more days left until move-in day, I decided to make a checklist to see what I have done and what I still need to do.
Buy books for classes: Check.
The SMC bookstore provides great deals, with used versions of books discounted from 35% of the new book price. I ordered two of my four books through the SMC bookstore, but through Chegg and Amazon, I found my other two books at a used price cheaper than the bookstore.
Read the summer reading assignment, Eating Animals: Check.
I felt like I had all the time in the world to read Eating Animals, when in reality, I looked at the calendar only to see that it was the beginning of August. Oops! I got an essay assignment for Eating Animals a week later, and that was the push I needed to start reading. I ended up reading the 260 page book in two days! By the way, I recommend reading it because it's interesting to see the truth behind some of the food you eat. I can definitely understand why some people are vegetarians.
Go shopping! : Definite Check.
Honestly, I'm one of those girls who isn't IN LOVE with shopping, but college shopping wasn't something I could get out of. Last week, my mom and I went on a mission determined to get all of my dorm room essentials. Two hours later, we were wheeling out a Target cart filled with numerous shopping bags. Just when I thought Target was going to be the only store we would be buying out, we went to Wal-mart to get school supplies, such as notebooks, pens/pencils, and binders. We took a break after tackling on Wal-mart and Target the same day, and went to the mall a couple days later for back-to-school clothes shopping. Final result: several shopping bags from Macy's, H&M, and Marshall's filled with an assortment of clothes and accessories, such as new cheetah Sperry's, dresses, jeans, boots, and coats. Shopping isn't too bad when you get good results, but man it is tiring!
Clean my room to prepare for packing: Check.
To the left, my pigsty of a room. To the right, success!
Packing and writing Eating Animals essay: Half-checks.
I have organized what I'm going to bring and what I'm going to keep, but I just haven't started the actual packing process itself (storing items in bins, bags, etc). For the essay, I have written a page so far on the struggle between nature and nurture and eating certain foods. I need to write 2-3 pages overall. 

I hope to be done with everything by the end of this week, so next week I won't feel so rushed. Once I'm finished with packing, I'll be sure to post some pictures of everything! 

No comments:

Post a Comment