Friday, July 19, 2013

Interning at the Lowell Spinners

As an MJD major, I've been considering two different careers. First career involves working in sports, something that I've loved ever since I was a kid. Second career involves exploring the film/television world and working behind the scenes as a producer. Like I said, two VERY different careers, so that's why this summer I wanted to explore my options and find out what it would be like to work in sports.  

I got a summer internship with the Lowell Spinners, a minor league baseball team associated with the Boston Red Sox. While the season started in mid-June, I started working at the beginning of June. The pre-season tasks included handing out pocket schedules to local businesses, looking up music and videos for certain promotional events, and attending community appearances.



When the season started, my department (Media Relations) met hours before the game to go over pre-game and in-game responsibilities. Some of the tasks for the usual pre-game show include handling special guest appearances, greeting fans, and setting up the auction table. When it's game time, I usually am either a part of the on-field crew or I am in the PA booth keeping track of the score or DJing the game. The on-field crew is mainly in charge of entertaining the crowd. We put together games for the crowd to participate in and make sure things run smoothly in the ballpark.

So far, I've been learning a lot about the sports industry. While it consists of long hours, it is also a very fun environment. I enjoy the people I work with.

I'm looking forward to ending my internship on a good note and heading back up to Saint Mike's to be an orientation leader. I'm excited to see who will be in group 18 with me and my orientation partner, Richie Bernache!

I hope everyone is enjoying their summer!

No comments:

Post a Comment